12 Nov Career Success Guidelines for Women in the Workplace
Women in recent years have made tremendous strides toward better equality and representation in society in general, and in the workplace in particular. However, many women find that they are still facing challenges when it comes to career advancement. Aside from challenges that are unique to women’s experience, there are many other potential obstacles to success that anyone attempting to succeed in their field needs to be prepared to get around. Here are some resources for career women who are trying to advance and achieve their career goals, at whatever stage of the game.
Ways to prepare yourself for career success.
People may say “just go out there and do it” – but, getting where you want to be may require planning. If your dream is to go far in your career, make sure you are prepared to be competitive in the workforce.
- Get the education and training you need in your field of choice. If you hope to secure your education while also working, consider an online degree from an accredited program.
- Get some experience under your belt by securing an internship or finding work that can count as part of career training.
- Seek a relationship of mentorship with women who have experience in your career field.
- Network with other women as an ally, not a competitor, and see how you can collaborate in your pursuit of greater opportunities.
How to excel in the workplace.
Once you’ve secured your first job in your dream career, it’s important to make the best of this opportunity.
- Be someone others can rely on to be prompt, thorough, and reliable.
- Make professionalism your creed.
- You need to find the right balance between being overbearing, and insufficiently confident.
- Of course, as a woman, you know you will probably be accused of being bossy simply for asserting yourself. Try not to let this get to you. Keep calm and don’t react.
- But also, don’t back down when you know you are right.
- And always give your team members credit for their ideas and achievements.
Know the qualities that go into good leadership.
Once you have achieved a position of leadership in your company or field, make the most of it by being the best leader you can be.
- A good leader is a clear and adept communicator.
- A good leader is willing to take responsibility for their own actions.
- A good leader supports others and helps them get ahead.
- Leadership means setting a goal and having a plan for meeting it.
Keep your focus on your career goals so even if you do hit bumps in the road, you won’t be discouraged from continuing your pursuit of success. And keep learning and growing so you are all the more prepared to take on leadership roles when they come your way. Contact Riveter Consulting Group for further resources for your career, as well as referral and career consulting services. Riveter Consulting Group provides career consulting services that help you jump into the world of entrepreneurship as the Head Woman In Charge.
Image via Pixabay